Julian Tucker


1843 - 1904

Mason Julian Tucker was singled out in the media for his work as a head builder of the tower and steeple at St. Mark’s Church, Smith’s Parish.

Work began in the summer of 1875 and was completed around the end of 1876.  It is believed that Mr. Tucker was one of several black tradesmen who helped build the tower and steeple, but he was the only one who was ever publicly identified.

The Royal Gazette reported that “the chief workman was Mr. Julian Tucker, who deserves great credit for the workmanlike manner in which he has completed the structure in all its details…”

Julian Tucker later built a modified replica of the steeple and tower for St. Paul AME Church.