William Francis Wilson

Master Mason; Founder, Colonial Mineral Water Factory; Choirmaster

1869 - 1932

A master mason, loyal lodgeman, committed Anglican and Garveyite, William F. Wilson helped build landmarks and create community institutions.

He led the rebuilding effort of the Colonial Opera House, after it was damaged in the 1926 hurricane, and worked on the construction of St. Monica’s Mission and an Oddfellows building, Alexandrina Hall.

An enterprising businessman, he established the Colonial Mineral Water Factory as well as the North Village Savings Club. He was also a founder of the Alexandrina Band, a forerunner of North Village Band.  He devoted much of his time and talents to St. Monica’s Mission. He was its first Sunday School superintendent and choirmaster and led the effort to procure an organ.

William F. Wilson was also the first full-time manager of the Opera House, during its heyday as the Island’s main performing arts centre.  His legacy lives on at the William F. Wilson Park on St. Monica’s Road.