Sandys Secondary School

03 Oct 1927

Sandys Secondary School held its first class in October 1927 with an enrollment of 18 students: 17 girls and one boy. The school had its humble beginnings in the living room of Mr. and Mrs. Cyril Foley, who opened the doors of their Bob’s Valley home to foster the dream of having a secondary school in Somerset.

Over the next 20 years the school struggled to remain open, meeting challenges ranging from location to finances; however perseverance
prevailed and the school found a permanent home at its present location on Scott’s Hill Road, Somerset.

In 1963, after 36 years of toil, Sandys Secondary School was adopted by the Bermuda Government and placed under the Department of Education as a fully funded public school. Later, in 1997 the school became one of the island’s five middle schools. At the present, the school bears the name Sandys Secondary Middle School, because amidst all of their struggles, the founders of the Sandys Secondary School managed to keep their vision in view, remembering that “education was the only vehicle that could carry their people to a higher plain.” It is because of this vision that the school has thrived and today provides quality education to over 200 students each year.

Mr. Richmond Simmons
Mrs. Frances Simmons
Mrs. Florence Smith
Mr. Leonard Simmons
Mrs. Fanny Ratteray
Mr. William Robinson
Mr. Harry Smith
Nurse Alice Scott
Mrs. John Scott
Mr. Samuel Swan
Mrs. Susan Philpott
Mr. Thomas Durrant